Jay Preston is a shareholder in the Litigation/Dispute Resolution, Transactional, and Marijuana/Hemp practices groups of Carnahan, Evans, Cantwell & Brown, P.C. Mr. Preston represents clients in civil litigation in both federal and state court focusing on business and real estate matters. Mr. Preston also assists clients in avoiding litigation through proper drafting of contracts/agreements, and counseling on how to deal with precarious situations.
Mr. Preston attended the University of Missouri where he obtained a B.S.B.A. in finance, Master of Business Administration, and Juris Doctorate.
Mr. Preston is a native of Springfield, Missouri, an eagle scout, and a graduate of Leadership Springfield and the Missouri Bar Leadership Academy.
Mr. Preston has handled or assisted on a variety of cases and transactions including:
- Obtaining summary judgment in an action to compel arbitration, and successfully defending the appeal to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals;
- Declaratory Judgment actions;
- Fiduciary litigation;
- Commercial arbitrations;
- Obtaining Injunctive Relief on the basis of trade secret and/or non-competition protection;
- Breach of contract actions;
- Drafting and negotiation of commercial and residential leases;
- Commercial and resident landlord/tenant disputes;
- Contesting real and personal property tax assessments;
- Challenging and defending will and/or trust contests based on allegations of undue influence and/or incapacity;
- Quiet Title actions;
- Mechanic’s Liens; and
- Various other disputes involving claims of fraud, negligence, defamation, conversion, and/or trespass.
University of Missouri, B.S.B.A., 2007
University of Missouri, M.B.A., 2011
University of Missouri, J.D., 2011
Business and Civil Litigation
Real Estate Litigation
Corporate and Business Law