Jay Preston is an associate and member of the Litigation/Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Carnahan, Evans, Cantwell & Brown, P.C. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business and civil litigation, real estate law, and corporate and business law.
Mr. Preston is a native of Springfield. After attending Glendale High School, where he was valedictorian, Mr. Preston attended the University of Missouri where he earned a degree in finance, masters in business administration, and juris doctorate. During law school Mr. Preston was an Editor of the Missouri Law Review and a finalist in the school’s mock trial competition.
Mr. Preston utilizes his business knowledge to assist clients in resolving disputes with an understanding of the full spectrum of both legal and business consequences.
Mr. Preston has handled or assisted on a variety of cases and transactions including:
- The successful defense of an action to compel arbitration, and appeal to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Drafting and negotiation of commercial and residential leases;
- Eviction of commercial and residential tenants;
- Breach of contract actions;
- Uniform Commercial Code actions;
- Actions to set aside wills and/or trusts;
- Real and personal property tax appeals;
- Actions to quiet title; and
- Various tort actions including conversion, fraud, defamation, negligence.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Preston worked as a summer associate for the firm and interned as a law clerk for the General Counsel of Farmland Foods, Inc.
University of Missouri, B.S.B.A., 2007
University of Missouri, M.B.A., 2011
University of Missouri, J.D., 2011
Business and Civil Litigation
Real Estate Litigation
Corporate and Business Law